Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner Subpoenaed by Special Counsel
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, the daughter and son-in-law of former Pres. Donald Trump, have reportedly been subpoenaed by special counsel Jack Smith as part of his investigation into the Jan. 6 riots and the days leading up to that day.
- Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, the daughter and son-in-law of former Pres. Donald Trump, have reportedly been subpoenaed by special counsel Jack Smith as part of his investigation into the Jan. 6 riots and the days leading up to that day.
- In addition to being close family members of the former president, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner also served in the Trump admin. as trusted advisors.
- Attorney General Merrick Garland appointed Smith to lead two investigations regarding Pres. Trump in November: one involving Trump’s handling of classified documents after leaving office and the other into his alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election.
- Ivanka and Kushner are the latest Trump allies subpoenaed by Smith, having also reportedly subpoenaed former VP Mike Pence — who said he won't testify — and Trump’s former chief of staff Mark Meadows.
- Ivanka was reportedly in the Oval Office on Jan. 6 and present during her father’s phone call with Pence in which he allegedly urged the VP not to certify the Electoral College results. She and her husband have already testified before the Jan. 6 House committee via videotaped interviews.
- This comes as grand juries in Washington have been hearing testimony from former Trump admin. officials regarding both probes into the former president.
Sources: ABC News, Independent, Guardian, CNBC, Yahoo, and Reuters.
- Pro-Trump narrative, as provided by AG. Smith is one of the worst partisan hacks the Washington establishment has to offer. For over a decade, he abused the justice department to target conservatives, starting with his role in the Obama-era IRS scandal in which he fabricated criminal prosecutions against conservative nonprofits. As the head of this sham investigation into Pres. Trump, he will now continue his pursuit of political vengeance.
- Democratic narrative, as provided by MSNBC. Both Ivanka and Kushner are key witnesses in the probe, and Special Counsel Smith is merely doing his due diligence by rightly prioritizing justice over the perception of his investigation. These latest subpoenas show he's willing to challenge power in the pursuit of truth, especially when it comes to Donald Trump’s attempted coup.