Report: DeSantis to Enter 2024 Presidential Race Next Week
Next week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will reportedly file formal paperwork with the Federal Election Commission declaring his much-anticipated candidacy for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
- Next week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will reportedly file formal paperwork with the Federal Election Commission declaring his much-anticipated candidacy for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.1
- This comes as rumors about an upcoming announcement have circulated after his financial backers were invited to a meeting in Miami on May 24-25, with donors expecting to be involved in fundraising calls on behalf of the campaign.2
- A "soft launch" is likely to take place as early as Wednesday, with a formal announcement expected the following week in his hometown of Dunedin. The planning, however, could remain a moving target as DeSantis is known for last-minute changes.3
- Recently, DeSantis has intensified public appearances with several bill-signing ceremonies in Florida and national travel stops. He also garnered key endorsements — including from former Trump advisor Steve Cortes.4
- The potential presidential contender on Wednesday signed into law bills to fight the so-called "woke indoctrination," including banning children from undergoing transgender medical treatments or entering drag shows, and also focused on preferred pronoun use in schools.5
- As of Thursday, FiveThirtyEight's national polling average for the 2024 GOP presidential primary shows that DeSantis is trailing frontrunner former Pres. Donald Trump by about 32 points. They are the only candidates to receive double-digit support from primary voters so far.6
Sources: 1Wall Street Journal, 2Bloomberg, 3CNN, 4Forbes, 5BBC News, and 6FiveThirtyEight.
- Pro-Trump narrative, as provided by Infowars. Republicans mustn't be fooled into voting for DeSantis; he's a deep state puppet who attempting to integrate the MAGA movement back into the GOP establishment to restore the Bush dynasty. It's outrageous that someone who endorsed the Russia collusion hoax since day one is now running on an "America First" platform. It should also be remembered how much DeSantis was dependent on Trump for his Florida re-election success.
- Anti-Trump narrative, as provided by Newsweek. The donor class within the GOP is looking to pass the torch to the more stable Ron DeSantis while still capturing the support of the MAGA base. After three successive losses, it is time for Republicans to pivot to winning candidates, and Ron DeSantis is the most captivating politician to challenge Biden in 2024.
- Democratic narrative, as provided by MSNBC. Ironically, Trump seems to need DeSantis in the GOP primaries to galvanize and re-energize MAGA rhetoric. Democrats should be cautious about relishing the forthcoming boxing match on the GOP side — both Trump and DeSantis have dangerous authoritarian impulses that President Biden will need to contend with.