Report: IRS Removes Entire Team Probing Hunter Biden's Tax Returns
Attorneys for an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) whistleblower — who recently alleged a cover-up in the long-running tax fraud probe of Hunter Biden — told Congress on Monday that the entire investigative team have been removed from the case at the request of the Dept. of Justice.
- Attorneys for an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) whistleblower — who recently alleged a cover-up in the long-running tax fraud probe of Hunter Biden — told Congress on Monday that the entire investigative team have been removed from the case at the request of the Dept. of Justice.1
- Lawyers for the anonymous agent last month claimed that "conflicts of interest" had led to "preferential treatment and politics improperly infecting decisions and protocols." The lawyers added that the agent could provide information that would "contradict sworn testimony to Congress by a senior political appointee."2
- IRS Commissioner Daniel Werfel addressed the House Ways and Means Committee last month in response, saying: "Mr Chairman, while I can't comment on a specific case, I can say without any hesitation there will be no retaliation for anyone making an allegation or a call to a whistleblower hotline."3
- However, the agent's lawyers said on Monday that the IRS had broken US laws stipulating that whistleblowers to Congress must not incur retaliatory personnel actions. They further alleged that laws protecting against the obstruction of an investigation by Congress were also violated.1
- In a statement, the IRS said it is, "deeply committed to protecting the role of whistleblowers," adding, "there are robust processes and procedures in place to protect whistleblowers ... we will not tolerate retaliation against any IRS employee making a whistleblower allegation."4
- Meanwhile, a Justice Dept. spokesperson has said the agency "cannot comment on the matter," and referred reporters to Delaware US Attorney David Weiss, who is overseeing the investigation. Weiss' office has not yet responded to requests for comment.4
Sources: 1New York Post (a), 2NBC, 3New York Post (b), and 4CBS.
- Republican narrative, as provided by New York Post. The IRS has never pulled an entire investigation team off of a case until this week, giving weight to this reported retaliation against the whistleblower. If claims that the Biden admin. is hindering efforts to charge son Hunter are confirmed, it will reveal that the federal government has been weaponized at an unprecedented level. This claim must be taken seriously.
- Democratic narrative, as provided by Vox. Republicans have long been trying to use Hunter's foreign work and personal life to implicate Pres. Biden so as to threaten his reelection. While some FBI and IRS agents have indeed criticized how the Justice Dept. is handling the investigation, no strong evidence of political interference has so far been presented.