Report: US to Release Migrants as Title 42 End Nears
Following a surge of more than 11K migrants crossing the southern border on Tuesday, the Biden admin. is reportedly working on a memo to instruct Customs and Border Protection to release migrants into the US without court dates or the ability to track them.
- Following a surge of more than 11K migrants crossing the southern border on Tuesday, the Biden admin. is reportedly working on a memo to instruct Customs and Border Protection to release migrants into the US without court dates or the ability to track them.1
- The admin. had previously released migrants without court dates to prevent overcrowding in March 2021 but had enrolled them in a program known as “Alternatives to Detention.” This required migrants to use a mobile app until they were given a court date.1
- This reportedly comes within the parameters of a 2022 memo to release migrants to city streets if non-profits are overcapacity, which was uncovered during legal proceedings initiated by Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody last year regarding the sunset of Title 42.2
- A Dept. of Homeland Security spokesperson said the new policy will apply only to carefully vetted migrants. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said the migrants released under this policy represent a small fraction of those crossing the border and that "the vast majority will be addressed in our border patrol facilities and our ICE detention facilities."1
- Thousands of migrants are crossing into the US this week before Title 42 expires, and a new regulation takes effect that could limit those who cross illegally from seeking asylum.3
- The Biden admin. is set to lift Title 42 Thursday in conjunction with the ending of the national COVID public health emergency.4
Sources: 1NBC, 2FOX News, 3Reuters, and 4Newsweek.
- Democratic narrative, as provided by NBC. While at face value this new policy may scare people, in reality reducing overcrowding in immigration facilities is a legitimate public health issue. The Biden admin. is doing its best to address this overwhelming surge in immigration in a safe and responsible way. Quickly processing properly-vetted migrants in order to alleviate overcrowding in ICE facilities is the responsible thing to do.
- Republican narrative, as provided by Oversight. No matter what the Biden admin. may say or do to save face, the crisis at the southern border is its fault. Biden’s radical open border policies have created a crisis and the planned expiration of Title 42 is going to turn the crisis into a catastrophe. The ending of Title 42 will only push an already overwhelmed system over the edge. Biden's immigration policies aren't just dangerous and irresponsible, they're un-American and will wreak havoc across the US.