- On Thursday, a 15-year-old male suspect was in custody and critical condition at a local hospital after he allegedly opened fire in Raleigh, NC, killing at least five people and wounding several others.
- The shooter allegedly fired his first shots along a walking trail Thursday afternoon and evaded a massive police presence for hours before he was arrested just after 9:30 pm.
- Investigators are still trying to determine the motive for the attacks. Among the victims were the shooter's 16-year-old brother and an off-duty police officer.
- Raleigh Police Chief Estella D. Patterson said her “heart is heavy” and added, “the Raleigh Police Department and the Raleigh community is resilient and we stand strong and we will heal and we will be stronger as a result of what has occurred."
- Pres. Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden expressed their sentiments in a statement, calling for an assault weapons ban and saying “the American people support this commonsense action to get weapons of war off our streets.”
- Left narrative, as provided by NY Times. The US must follow the lead of other countries and tighten its gun laws if it's ever going to reduce the number of mass shootings. There are reams of evidence to prove the fewer guns that fall into citizens’ hands, the less gun violence there is in a country. That these incidents continue to occur is unacceptable.
- Right narrative, as provided by Federalist. The Left’s anti-gun agenda won’t do anything to quell the violence, it’ll only infringe on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. Tragedies like what happened in Raleigh are ripe for exploitation by those who want to take away Americans’ guns, but those same people ignore all the other types of crime and violence hurting the country.
- Cynical narrative, as provided by Daily Kos.Thursday's tragic mass shooting in Raleigh has become another violent Thursday night in America. Senseless shootings like these almost render media coverage useless because they happen so much now. While there's political leadership in North Carolina who will care, we all know nothing is really changing in society. One by one, these desensitizing incidents are slowly robbing us of our outrage, and that's a shame.