Ukraine: Air Defense Thwarts Further Russian Missile Attack on Kyiv
In the early hours of Tuesday, for the eighth time this month, Russia launched a wave of missiles and drones at Kyiv.
- In the early hours of Tuesday, for the eighth time this month, Russia launched a wave of missiles and drones at Kyiv. Serhii Popko, head of the military administration in the capital, said the latest attack was "exceptional in its density — the maximum number of attacking missiles in the shortest period of time."1
- Nonetheless, Ukrainian officials said that all 18 missiles fired at Kyiv were shot down by air defenses, including six Kinzhal missiles — one of the most advanced weapons in Russia's arsenal.2
- However, as a result of the assault, falling missile debris was recorded in at least five areas of Kyiv, injuring three civilians.3
- Kyiv Mayor Vitalii Klitschko added that the fragments of one missile fell in the grounds of the capital's zoo. He confirmed there were no injuries to staff or animals and that the zoo would open as normal on Tuesday.4
- Meanwhile, despite Ukrainian assertions that all missiles were shot down, Russia's defense ministry claimed to have destroyed a US-made Patriot air defense system in the course of the attack, and that Ukrainian units and ammunition storage sites had been struck. Neither the Ukrainian nor the Russian account could be independently confirmed at this stage.5
- Late last week, US officials speaking to CNN said previous Russian attacks on Kyiv were attempts to destroy the US-made Patriot air defense systems recently delivered to Ukraine. The officials said that while Russia may be able to zero in on their locations over time, attempts to take them out had so far failed.6
Sources: 1Associated Press, 2UKRINFORM (a), 3UKRINFORM (b), 4UKRINFORM (c), 5Daily Sabah, and 6CNN.
- Pro-Ukraine narrative, as provided by Ukrinform. Thanks to the work of air defenses, Ukraine destroyed all 18 of the missiles fired by Russia in the latest attack, while minimal damage was recorded to infrastructure and buildings. Moscow's vicious assault was effectively countered in this success for Ukraine.
- Pro-Russia narrative, as provided by Daily Sabah. Using its advanced Kinzhal missiles, Russia destroyed Ukraine's recently delivered US Patriot air defense system and also hit Ukrainian units and ammunition storage facilities. The high-precision strikes were a strategic victory that has denied Kyiv use of a key piece of military technology and deprived Ukraine of crucial resources.